Wickenburg Community Hospital is a non-profit organization owned and operated by its citizens. Established in 1926 and like the tenacious Western spirit that built Wickenburg, our rural Community Hospital and Clinics are committed to quality health and wellness services where the patient, family and community come first.
We promise to:
- Serve all patients
- Offer discounted fees for patients who qualify
- Not deny services based on a person’s race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, or sexual orientation
- Accept contracted insurance plans, including Medicare and AHCCCS
Wickenburg Community Hospital is federally designated as a Critical Access Hospital and state designated as a Level IV Trauma Center supporting the needs of residents and surrounding rural communities within approximately 3,300 square miles. Our campus includes Specialized Emergency Medicine, Advanced Life Saving Technology, Critical Cardiac Care, Mayo Clinic Telestroke Partner, Community Clinics, Surgical and Diagnostic Services, Licensed 19 Bed Acute Care Unit, Laboratory, Medical Imaging, Cardiopulmonary, Pharmacy, Rehabilitation Center, Infusion Center, Wound Care Center, Fitness Center, Laser & Rejuvenation Center, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Sports Medicine, Allergy Program, Interventional Pain Management Program, Venous Insufficiency Program, and more.Read Testimonials
More about Wickenburg Community Hospital
To provide quality health and wellness services where the patient, family and community come first.
We will be the world-class health and wellness leader for all communities we serve.
Commitment: To fulfill the health and wellness needs of our communities.
Integrity: Honesty, sincerity, and truthfulness reflected in everything we do.
Empathy: We care for patients and family with sensitivity and compassion.
Accountability: We make practical and prudent decisions insuring our future viability.
Excellence: We measure our performance by world-class standards.
Creativity: We apply our unique talents and ideas to better serve our communities.
Teamwork: We foster effective partnerships and alliances.
Affordability: We will offer programs and services at the most reasonable cost allowed.
Wickenburg Community Hospital | History
The medicinal arts as practiced in the Old West often meant the difference between life and death for American pioneers. Whether the challenge was sickness, an Indian arrow, a gunshot wound, or a fall from a horse, a pioneer in the western territories required care for medical emergencies, but often had to make do until a doctor could be found.
In 1864 a U.S. Army post named Fort Whipple was established north of Wickenburg near Prescott, Arizona. The post served as the capital of the Arizona Territory until 1912 when Arizona became a state. One year later the post was retired and converted into a military hospital and used during World War I and World War II.
Likewise, the first hospital developed south of Wickenburg emerged in 1895. It originated through the Sisters of Mercy who initially arrived in Phoenix, Arizona to open a parish school. After observing the suffering of many tuberculosis victims, the Sisters of Mercy decided to raise funds, rent a six bedroom brick cottage, and equip each room with two beds for tuberculosis patients. Thus, St. Joseph’s Sanitarium was born.
In 1936 Dr. James Copeland and his wife owned and operated the local hospital. At that time only three doctors practiced medicine in Wickenburg. In 1937 Dr. Copeland getting on in years, first leased and later sold the hospital to Dr. Floyd Bralliar. Dr. Bralliar quickly added six rooms, which increased the bed capacity from ten to twenty.
Dr. Bralliar owned and operated the hospital for almost ten years. During this time he performed surgery daily, mostly under spinal anesthesia and later it was reported that he trained his nurse to give Pentothal.
In 1945 Dr. Bralliar was involved in a plane crash and was unable to operate the hospital for one year while recovering. For a short period of time the hospital ran under the supervision of a licensed practical nurse, however with Dr. Bralliar unable to resume operations, the hospital was in danger of closing.
A local man, Mr. Ewald Stein learned of the problem and steadfastly led a drive to save the hospital. Assisting him were two well-known Wickenburg gentlemen, Mr. C.W. (Wes) Paige and Mr. Hal Warner. The three formed the original Community Hospital Association, Inc., now doing business as the Wickenburg Community Hospital. These men undertook the task of persuading the community to acquisition and save the local hospital. This was not an easy endeavor. According to Mr. Stein, many people argued against purchasing the hospital and felt it wasn’t needed. After numerous public meetings and much salesmanship, the group gained authority to raise $25,000.00 through the sale of $1.00 ten year bonds to purchase the hospital from Dr. Bralliar.
The Community Hospital Association, Inc. set up bylaws and appointed a Board of Directors to run the hospital. In time the Board hired its first administrator. The Hospital was running so successfully, it was able to redeem all bonds after only two years and celebrated by throwing a bond burning party.
In 1954 the Board of Directors made plans to increase the size and services of the hospital. Another bond drive was led by Mr. Harold Eckhart to help finance the construction of a new facility. Also assistance from the Hill-Burton Act, a U.S. federal law passed in 1946 in response to the first of President Truman’s proposals to provide federal grants and guaranteed loans to improve the physical plant of the nation’s hospital system. The money was designated to the states to achieve 4.5 beds per 1,000 people. The states allocated available money to their various municipalities.
In 1957 the new hospital was constructed at its present location on land donated by Dr. Bralliar.
In 1984 a forty-bed nursing home wing was added. The wing was made possible by a generous commemorative gift by local resident Mrs. Viola Wellik. A treatment wing was also added to the original building.
In 1986 major reconstruction of the Emergency Department was completed.
1988 – 1995 The Wickenburg Regional Health Care Foundation was created to assure the continuance of quality health care for Wickenburg and the surrounding region with supplemental funds through philanthropy. Now operating as the Wickenburg Community Hospital Foundation, it continues ongoing philanthropic support to fund vitally important healthcare facilities, equipment, and wellness services for the hospital.
Expansion and modernization projects completed during this time include the laboratory, nursing home, radiology department, mammography machine, ophthalmic stretcher, physical therapy, memorial courtyard, plus ongoing development, operation, and maintenance of services.
In 1996 expansion and modernization of the Emergency Department was made possible by a generous gift from the William N. and Myriam Pennington Foundation.
In 2004 the hospital went through an extensive facility wide remodeling project.
2010 the Boyd Infusion Center and Community Hospital Clinic in Wickenburg was opened to serve the needs of the community.
2012 the Community Hospital Clinic in Congress opened along with the Laser & Rejuvenation Center. The Hospital Board of Directors authorized the development of a new Surgical And Diagnostic Center to provide a variety of needed services including orthopedic and general surgery, diagnostic and treatment scopes, optical, urologic, podiatric, and cosmetic surgery.
Funding and building a state-of-the-art surgical center capable of offering such an extensive menu of medical services was made possible by the extraordinary support and generosity of the community. At the request of the Hospital Board, the Board of Directors of the Wickenburg Community Hospital Foundation consented to shoulder the burden of a $7.5 million capital campaign to provide the funding needed to make the surgical center a reality. Incredibly, people from all walks of life demonstrated support for such services needed closer to home. The Foundation received gifts of $10 to $2.5 million in many forms as one-time gifts, multi-year pledges, gifts from community-based and Phoenix-based charitable foundations, challenge gifts and pledges, auction items, payroll withholding from hospital employees, and gifts of time, talent, and creativity.
2015 the targeted $7.5 million capital campaign was met. Consequently, the Hospital was able to apply and receive approval for a US Department of Agriculture loan for almost $17 million to construct and equip two new buildings – a surgical and diagnostic center and a second medical office building – as well as refinance two long-term debts currently held by the hospital. Construction of the medical office building and surgical and diagnostic center was completed May and August 2016 respectively.
Wickenburg Community Hospital | Commitment to Diversity
We embrace diversity by valuing the unique ideas, talents, contributions, and needs of our people and community. We are committed to continually shaping a diverse work environment that promotes opportunity for personal and professional growth. We hold each member of our team accountable for actively fostering a culture of inclusion and servant leadership in order to enhance the quality of care and comfort for each person that we serve.
Wickenburg Community Hospital | Honored to be a Member
As part of an intricate community and region of 3,300 square miles, Wickenburg Community Hospital supports many community efforts:
The Rehabilitation Team at WCH is proud to offer support for the development of the Wickenburg Wrangler athletic programs. The goal is to gradually create a comprehensive Sports Medicine program in this town that focuses on injury prevention, safe return to play, immediate access to appropriate care, and skill development.
Wickenburg Community Hospital | Is Tobacco Free
This means that all forms of tobacco – including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco or chew tobacco, vapor, herbs and tobacco-less cigarettes (such as e-cigarettes) or like products – are prohibited for use by employees, volunteers, medical staff, patients, and visitors inside and outside all facilities.
Wickenburg Community Hospital is committed to promoting health and wellness by offering the best healing environment for our patients. Our tobacco free policy is one more step in our commitment to providing excellent patient care. Several times a year we offer the CVS American Lung Smoking Cessation Program.
We recognize this may be difficult for many individuals and are committed to supporting visitors and patients coming to our hospital. If you are a smoker coming to the hospital for any reason: Please check with your health care provider about nicotine replacement options such as gum, patches, and lozenges that can assist you.
If you are a smoker and are being admitted to the hospital following an emergency room visit:
- Please notify your nurse or attending physician that you would like assistance through nicotine-replacement aids.
- Please inform your visitors about our tobacco –free policy. Aids such as chewing gum and candy are available in our Gift Shops to assist your loved ones while visiting you in the hospital.
If you are a smoker visiting a loved one:
- Please remember Wickenburg Community Hospital does not allow smoking on any of its properties. If needed, our Gift Shops have chewing gum and candies available.